The Economist offers authoritative insight and opinion on international news, politics, business, finance, science, technology and the connections between them.
The goal of this personalization campaign is to drive an increase in subscription conversion rates for specific targeted audiences in an automated and smart way through digital hubs.
To increase subscription conversion rates, The Economist built dedicated hubs for highly targeted audiences at discover.economist.com. This initiative is articulated around the following concept:
- Landing pages with content from The Economist analyzed and recommended for targeted audiences
- CTA conversion tracking with machine learning algorithms to continuously increase subscription rate
Opentopic powers the content analysis and recommendations, matches it dynamically with the respective audiences and continuously improves the results through machine learning algorithms.
Using Opentopic’s cognitive technology, The Economist leverages a dynamic webpage with individualized content blocks that are optimized in real-time. Customer segmentation is achieved by a powerful taxonomy and acquisition made through paid channels.
- Defined target audiences based on a cognitive understanding of their interests, demographics, behaviors and other factors
- Defined metrics: engagement (UV, PV), leads (CTR for subscription banner), transaction (subscriptions)
- Personalized content with call to action that leverage auto-publishing rules
- Analytics that continuously optimize your engagement and lead generation efforts using machine learning technology
Watson’s cognitive technology allows us to create dynamic buyer personas, have a real-time understanding of an individual’s needs/preferences/behaviors, and drive true 1:1 marketing.
Outcomes / Insights
- Process unstructured data to optimize content libraries in-real time based on customer taxonomy – This allows us to monitor original & syndicated content that has been published across The Economist’s digital hubs.
- Save time and work more efficiently with dynamic buyer personas and auto-publishing rules – An auto-publishing rule is used to serve content to each homepage : This is an Opentopic function that feeds each homepage with content optimized for the defined target audience.
- Improve CX and drive subscriptions with individualized content – A segmentation rule is used to group prospects into defined target audiences: This is an automated function developed for The Economist that sends each prospect to specific homepages according to ad engagement.