opentopic and ibm watson making prediction for time inc’
Time Inc. is a worldwide publishing company with over 90 magazine brands and 60 digital titles. In the digital age where people have a seemingly limitless number of channels to express their feelings and viewpoints, Time Inc. is looking for new ways to inspire editorial and write great stories.
As a publisher with multiple brands and a volume of data that would be impossible to handle for humans, Time Inc. was looking for cognitive technology to help understand:
1. The frequency and channel in which different people or concepts are being mentioned
2. The sentiment of these conversations
3. The reach of these conversations
Using Sia Cognitive technology, they were able to gain powerful insights – based on the analysis of all types of unstructured data, and predict the success of their campaign: 2016 Person of the Year!
For every year since 1927, TIME has selected the most influential person of the year. From presidents to protesters, astronauts to activists, each selection reflects the person—or idea—who has most influenced the news and our world in the past year, for good or ill.
For 2016, TIME—in partnership with Opentopic and IBM’s Watson—is also able to track and compare influence in a whole new way. Opentopic worked with Watson to track how candidates made their mark on the Internet, in order to create a picture of what the world is saying about the people and ideas that matter.
the TECHNOLOGY BEHIND IT
Time Inc.’s team turned to Opentopic to deliver a cognitive solution. Using Sia cognitive capabilities, they gain real insights and we are able to predict the result of their campaign.
- Monitor 200,000+ Sources – As part of this collaboration with Fortune and TIME, Opentopic has evaluated more than 62 million documents from nearly 3.5 million online sources, which included a mix of news outlets, media platforms, and social networks. Additionally, monitoring included content for all of 2016.
- Collect & Analyze Data – Using Sia Insights, they were able to understand all types of unstructured data. Opentopic custom built a dashboard with four main analysis : Volume of discussion, Sentiment for each, Channel distribution, Reach of discussions.
- Inspire Editorial – Sia Prediction relies on cognitive analytics to predict success of campaigns and assets for guaranteed ROI. Using Sia Prediction, Opentopic with Watson narrowed down the results to a leadership board for various entities and concepts with sophisticated filtering capabilities. This enabled the editors to uncover never before seen stories.
They were able to track and compare influence in a whole new way. Opentopic worked with Watson to track how candidates made their mark on the Internet, in order to create a picture of what the world is saying about the people and ideas that matter. Watson’s deep-learning technology then classifies and sorts that information. TIME’s editors used this information while finalizing the list for the Person of the Year reader poll—and, as Watson updates that analysis throughout the polling period, this technology can deepen our understanding of what it really means to be one of the most influential people in the world.